Monday, August 11, 2008

Vacation time

Last week, Braeden and mommy set out on an adventure to drive to Charleston, SC to see Uncle Ryan and also Mimi and Granddaddy Miller who were taking a week's vacation there. I (Heidi) drove the first 6 hours to Spartanburg, SC where Braeden and I spent the night that Saturday. Then, we woke up VERY early the next morning and drove the rest of the way to Charleston (about 3 hours) so that we could make it to Uncle Ryan's church. Let me just say that it must have been hysterical for the people in our hotel early Sunday morning to watch me drag a pack 'n play, 2 travel bags, a "Pump In Style", 3 bags of other odds and ends (formula, breast milk, baby toys, etc.) and a wide-eyed baby in a car seat all in one trip through the lobby in a nice church outfit. I wish someone would've taped it because it definitely could've won some money for us on "America's Funniest Home Videos". On several occasions, the rolling pack 'n play decided to tip over, threatening to totally destroy my "system" of carrying things to the car. And on top of all of that, Braeden decided that it was the perfect morning for a HUGE diaper load of solid mess (as if I hadn't already had a whirlwind of a morning) and so I ended up having to take a brief pause from packing the car to change a very messy diaper.
Anyways, I was amazed at how well-behaved Braeden was on the long trip there and back to Nashville. Long car rides with minimal stopping seem to fare well with him. (Many thanks to Amy and Aaron Joley for the use of their portable dvd player which kept Braeden mesmerized for a good bit of the trip.) We did a good bit of sight-seeing (carriage tour and boat cruise of downtown Charleston), made a trip to the downtown market, visited the beach, made a day trip to Myrtle Beach to visit family, toured North Charleston-Ryan's new home turf, and ventured out to several malls/outlets. Although we had our moments of craziness with Braeden and the heat was pretty intense, we had an incredible time with my family and I was so thankful that I made the trip. They were a huge blessing to have there to help and I'm glad that they were able to have that time with Braeden. Ryan, you are truly a miracle-worker. :) "B-raeden" already thinks the world of you. Thank you to all 3 of you for keeping me sane and level-headed when Braeden had his moments of intense stubbornness and strong-will. I love you so much! Since daddy did not get to come with us on this trip, it was sort of bittersweet to leave. But, needless to say, we are back home safe and sound.
And so, after a LONG introduction, here are some pics!
(In 2 of these pictures you'll see me giving Braeden a bottle in his car seat as well as Braeden attempting to drink from the bottom/side of his bottle. This was his first introduction to a bottle of water as it was EXTREMELY hot that day.)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really wish I could've been there to see you dragging all of the stuff through the hotel. So funny! I'm glad you had a good trip to see Ryan!