Okay, so here's the weird thing about babies. Some things come gradually...like, I don't know, holding your head up. Day by day you watch them get a little stronger, little stronger, little stronger until finally you can pull your supporting hand from behind their head and they're fine. They don't flop around like jellyfish any more, and you're thinking, "Cool! Now my hand can get some rest."
And then there are other things that for reasons only God himself knows just-SNAP-happen all in a day. One example was the day Braeden decided, "Hmm...daytime naps are cool. I think I'll sleep EVERY time mommy lays me down for a nap during the day. Go!"
I remember it well. It was a Tuesday. After a few days of saying, "It's been 3 days in a row! It's been 4 days in a row!" we decided this was going to be the trend. And ever since he rarely wakes up during daytime naps (in his crib) and if he does, he almost always goes back to sleep in a few minutes. That was NOT the case before that Tuesday!
So here's our-SNAP-change for this weekend. Rolling! Okay, now I first saw Braeden roll WAY back in June (though I'm still not sure Heidi believes me because she wasn't there to witness it). But I promise you, he rolled from his tummy to his back at about 6:30 in the morning. Well, ever since he has been what I like to call a sporadic roller. Maybe 3 times today. Maybe twice tomorrow. Maybe you won't see it again for a week! You never know.
Okay, so Thursday, he figures out rolling. SNAP! Heidi tells me, "Oh yeah, he rolled 7 times in a row today!" WHAT!!! So I try this out for myself (because parents tend to either not believe each other or just REALLY wanna see it for themselves).
Friday I turn him onto his stomach as usual and BAM! like clockwork he rolls. So I turn him on his stomach again. Roll. I do it again. Roll! Again! Roll! Roll! Roll! Roll! I think I stopped when he was seasick from rolling and I started losing count at about 8+ rolls. And he's been doing it ever since. When you turn him onto his stomach now (which he never really liked anyway) he now knows he can get out of it. And what's more--he ALWAYS rolls to his right. He picks his left arm up, leaves it hang for awhile, then slowly starts to pull it back behind him and begins the rolling process. Sometimes he stops halfway through, laying on his side awkwardly...and then finishes. What a goofball!
Well, I just wanted to share once again my amazement at God's oddest creation--the baby. Well done, Lord. Well done.
1 comment:
I definitely agree with your amazement in the "snap changes". You can work and work on trying to change something, but it seems like babies will do things when they are ready. Ugh...And we think we are in control.
Post a Comment