Monday, August 11, 2008

Unconditional Love


This picture is dedicated to Mimi, Granddaddy, and Uncle Ryan who have reminded me what it means to love unconditionally. I am sure that many of you are going to be like, "Well, duh!" when you get through reading this but please, indulge me. :)
On our last night in Charleston, Braeden woke up early from a nap he was taking in his car seat while we were driving around town seeing the sights. Upon waking, he realized that he was confined in his car seat and this made him incredibly angry. Well, nothing we did seemed to console him and he spent the next 45 minutes throwing the biggest fit I have ever seen. Ryan was great about trying to get us back to the hotel as quickly and safely as possible but pretty soon, it got so intense that I joined Braeden in a little cry-fest. When we finally got back to the hotel and got Braeden calmed down, I thanked my family for being so understanding. I noticed how even after that extremely trying time, we all still loved on him and raved about how he's the best baby in the whole world as though nothing had even happened. As simple as it might seem, it reminded me about how that's the way it is with family (and if you're lucky, maybe a few close friends but mainly just family.) Because you are bonded as blood relatives, you don't have to work to win one another's affections or love. It is just naturally there. Even our son who has only been alive for just over 4 months received that love immediately from Matt & I and our families. It just really hit me and I thought I would pass that along. So, thank you again for helping me through that and for teaching me something yet again. Learning from your parents definitely doesn't stop after you "grow up" and move out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you mean tied for the best baby in the whole world? Hudson's feelings are hurt. We loved reading about your trip!

Mrs. Estep said...

Well of course I meant they were tied. It's that mommy brain taking over again! :) Thanks for the nice comment.